Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Really?

I am not sure what category this goes under, except, Really!

This morning the kids are out of school for the Thanksgiving holiday, my husband doesn't have to teach, and a lot of his clients are out of town already.  I made a plan to workout with a friend who had to leave by a certain time to get to Parent/Teacher conference.  As my grandmother always said  - the best laid plans of mice and men.

I told the boys the plan last night.  I reiterated it this morning.  At T-10 minutes I informed them that I was leaving in 10 minutes and they could get ready or I would put them in the car in their PJ', hungry, and head to the gym.

Suddenly, my husband who had been on the phone with his mom is paying attention and ready to 'help'. oh yeah.  His help, to start screaming at the kids to get their clothes on and finish breakfast.  OK, not really helping!  I'm trying to stop the yelling in the house, I'm trying to teach them consequences for their behavior, I'm prepared to let them fail in this safe non-life threatening environment....AND YOU'RE RUINING IT!

So maybe the person I should have told was my husband.  This is my fault, to change parenting strategies mid swim and not tell him.  He's still doing the breaststroke and I've switched to the back stroke.  But my husband works with children and would never yell at them, why does he yell at his own children?  I don't think he came from the screaming house, where everyone is screaming.  I know he didn't come from a strict house where you tow the line or drop and give me 20!

The funniest part of the whole thing is that everyone, except me is yelling, fighting, struggling, manipulating....so I lost it and yelled (you see how long I can stick to a new parenting strategy)
ENOUGH, NO ONE TALK FOR THE NEXT 10 MINUTES OR SOMETHING BAD IS GOING TO HAPPEN......there was silence in the house for 30 seconds, then my husbands says one thing, then another....

OK, Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment