Sunday, December 30, 2012

2013- A Mother's Manifesto

As 2013 approaches it is hard not to reflect on the year past.  Every morning show, evening news program, even NPR is doing a year in review. Now more than ever I am reminded of something that I wrote that seems more important than it did even when I wrote it.  With my surgery around the corner and with all the recapping of the natural disasters, tragic events, and deaths of the year I feel now more than ever I need a change.  This is my Mother's Manifesto.

I am a Mom. I am 40 years-old.  I drive a mini-van. I am a PTA member.  I drive to and from Soccer and/or dance class, agility, basketball, or music at least once a night. I am a Mom.

I chose to leave my career.  I chose to leave the city.  I chose my house based on the school district.  I chose to have only two children.  I chose to have them later in life.

I am proud to be a Mom.  I am confident in my choices.  I am disgusted with our world.

for my children.....

I want a world without hunger and hate, bad guys and bullies, war and waste, pollution and politics, indifference and injustice, obesity and obsessions, narrow mindedness and negativity, judgement and jealousy.

The world I will fight for is a world where my children can grow in peace and love and wisdom.

I want a world where no child goes without food.  A world that cares for all living creatures enough to feed those that will care for us in our sunset years. I want a world where no one procures hate for power and greed, and more importanlyt in the name of religion.

I want a world free of bullies - big and small, political and playground, worldwide and suburban, external and internal.  I want a world free of fear of bad guys that lurk to steal our identity, our property, our souls, our children.

I want a world free of war.  I want a guarantee that I will not watch my sons walk away to fight and not return.  I want a world where what we do not use is as important as what we do and the option is not based on popularity.

I want a world where people don't wait for someone else to fix-it or standby hoping someone else will speak-up.  I want a world where money can not buy equality.

I want a world where indulgence is a luxury not a right.  I want a world where happiness and passion are an obsession.

I want a world where hair color, sex, or religion is not a reason to write people off.  I want a world where being toxic is not the norm.

I want a world that not only accepts people for who they are but embraces them.  I want a world that treasures what we have, are, need- not what others have that we do not.


Our fore fathers wrote in the Declaration of Independence -
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
To which Benjamin Franklin replied -
"The Constitution gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
Let this be the year we all catch happiness - To 2013!!

No comments:

Post a Comment