Monday, August 10, 2009

We're Baaacck!

We all survived vacation, mostly intact. The plan was to start out by 6 a.m. on a Friday morning. So we put the kids to bed and hurried to finish packing the car, and put the kids back to bed, and finish cleaning the house, and put the kids back to bed, and you get the picture. It was after midnight when we finally laid down and set the alarm clock. Little did we know we wouldn't need it. At 2:30 a.m. my three year-old climbed in bed with me - he was on fire! Perfect we knew someone had to get sick right?

After some Motrin and a message for the Dr.'s office we went back to sleep for a few more hours before we headed out for vacation via the Doctor's office, the pharmacy, and the bank. Instead of 6 a.m. it was more like 10 a.m.. But we are on vacation, we are not in a hurry, we don't need to be in Colorado until Sunday because that's when we are expected, at some one elses house where we will be staying.

All I heard for the first four hours of the trip - "We are four hours behind schedule!"
"No" I kept trying to say lovingly, "We are a day ahead of schedule. She is not expecting us until Sunday. If you showed up at my house an entire day early, I'd have to kill you." This did not get through that thick Greek skull. The other thing he had trouble hearing, which I knew would be a problem was, "Please stop we have to Pee!" We made it to Kansas City, Kansas on the first day tired, hungry, and eyes balls floating.

The three-year-old has acquired the knick-name Little Pooper. There are several reasons, his disposition, his tantrums, and his lack of appropriate potty skills. The first leg of the trip went well because he was too doped up on Motrin and dehydrated from the fever to be a problem. Day two however, a different story. After the third pair of underwear and pants by 10 a.m. I tried to convince him to wear a diaper just for the car ride. NO WAY! Maybe I could?

I just tried to keep my voice from shrieking at this point as I no longer gently persuaded my husband to stop more frequently or perhaps all together because - "We are not expected to show up today!!!!!!!" We were in Colorado by 6 p.m. Imagine how well the rest of the vacation went with my level of input.

I think what the boys will remember the most is Star Wars, Hotel pools, and room service. Thanks to a very generous friend the boys watched the Star Wars trilogy on the way out to Colorado and the way back. I have just two words for our friend - THANK YOU!!

Actually the biggest hit of the car ride was the Car Bingo game which everyone got into even my husband who at times had to be reminded to keep his eyes on the road. He also really got into finding a licence plate from every state and since he did all the driving (once again demonstrating my lack of control here) we only had nine states left to find. We also had plenty of Library books to read and listen to on CD. Those came in very handy when I had to crawl into the front seat to fix Mrs. Tomtom (the GPS) because my husband was convinced she did not know where she was going.

Several people have asked why in the world we would drive for two days, don't ask me quite yet, I'm still trying to figure that out. Will I ever do it again - well if I ever want to take a vacation I can afford I guess that I will have to. At least we have Car Bingo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment