Friday, August 28, 2009

The First Day of School

I think my husband and I were just as nervous as our son on the first day of school. We were both up before the alarm. Wanting the morning to be special I made his favorite breakfast, sausage patties and blueberry pancakes. Then I made the lunch he had ordered a week ago; PB&J, apples, carrots with dip, and chocolate milk. He was not sure that he wanted to buy milk on the first day.

Our three-year-old who was up with me at 6:30 a.m. was impossible to keep quiet and content by 7:00 a.m. He wanted the pancakes, he wanted a lunchbox, mostly he wanted to wake up his brother. Being too nervous and emotional to use a real parenting technique I gave in quickly. He was happy with Chocolate soy milk in a thermos and cinnamon Goldfish crackers in Tupperware, Thank God.

My son had decided that he wanted to wear khaki shorts and a golf shirt to school. I was so impressed! and unprepared - I was still scrambling to get them clean and dry before 9:00 a.m. As well as getting myself semi-presentable, find our camera and two AA batteries so that I might get a picture or two.

The morning really seemed to be cruising along which should have been a warning for me because normal mornings do not go that smoothly in our house. The Findergartner woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed. We all ate and talked then the three-year-old threw a fit. My husband wasn't buying my parenting style and tried to enforce discipline. The 6 year-old and I left.

My big man is scared of going anywhere in our house by himself right now. I am just hoping this phase passes quickly. So we went upstairs together to get dressed. As I sat on his bed while he changed he asked me about college. I can't remember the question I wasn't paying attention really, he's starting first grade not college. But my answer was wrong, all wrong!

"Well you move away for college, you live there and go to school." I said nonchalantly.
"I have to go away? I can't live with you? I have to get myself up and make my own breakfast?" he cried, tears rolling down his face. What did I say? I'm suppose to be crying not him!

I quickly scooped him up and reassured him that he had a long time before he needed to worry about college and when that time came he would gladly move out. I told him that he was only going to first grade and I promised the day would be over before he knew it and I would be there waiting at the door.

He pulled it together quite nicely. Joyfully he gathered his supply bag, backpack, and lunchbox and made silly faces while I tried to get a picture. He hopped in the car and off they went. I stood waving, crying, and thinking how fast they grow-up. I held my baby now three years old and was thankful that he doesn't start pre-school for two weeks.

Someone told me when I was pregnant with him to cherish the time they were inside of you, you always know where they are and what they are doing. Wise words wasted on a first time mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment