Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Driving at 15?

So in several of our great states someone had the brilliant idea to let teenagers get their driving permit at 15 1/2. I am not sure who in their right mind thought that would be a good idea, but they are dumb.


Teenagers are dumb. I know this first hand because I was one. A teenager - and a dumb one. We have a friend who is going through this now with her son who will turn 16 in December. He is so upset because she won't pay out all the money necessary for him to take the test, get the lessons and insurance immediately. Now she has never refused to let him get a Drivers License, just that she is not going to shell out the money at 15 1/2.


Just this morning, as I turned out of our neighborhood I was almost struck twice as two teenagers, each driving an SUV, pulling out of the park across the street both thought that they had the right of way. They were making a left hand turn! I know it's been 25 years since my Drivers Education but when do you ever have the right of way making a left hand turn? NEVER!


Without getting into a lot of detail about just HOW dumb I was - that would surely prompt a call from my parents (YOU DID WHAT!) and possibly indict me on several counts of vehicular stupidity. I think that letting a teenager loose in a car is like letting a three year-old loose in a Toys R Us. It's raging hormones behind the wheel of a one ton assault weapon. Wait that's a pregnant mom in a mini-van.

Suffice it to say, I am really against letting children get behind the wheel of a car any sooner then they already do and if I knew who the idiot was that proposed the legislation I'd put out an APD on him - All Pregnant Drivers Alert!

No comments:

Post a Comment