Thursday, June 25, 2009

Vacation - Part 1 Preparation

It is time to get ready for our family vacation. I know that I should be grateful that we can take this trip, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

We are looking at a 22hour car ride to get to our destination. I am really dreading having to fill 22 hours of time in a vehicle with my beloved family. When I think back to the few family vacations we took as children I think about laying in the back of a station wagon trying not to throw up and asking "Are we there yet?"

On one particularly long drive we borrowed another family's conversion van. We were so pumped. This was before seat belt laws so we were looking forward to playing football in the back while my parents drove. It didn't quite go as planned. Mom kept yelling to keep it down and sit still then half way to the destination the air conditioning broke. Have you ridden in the back of any van without air conditioning? You might as well be seating in the waiting area at the Dry Cleaners.

There was the time that we traveled to the top of a giant hill in South Carolina, someplace called Fontana Dam I think? We took Grandma because the only reason we were going was to visit our Uncle who moved there. The road up the mountain went around and around and around and around. We stopped three times because everyone felt so sick - but nobody was throwing up - until Grandma had the bright idea to shove Dramamine down our throats. Then we stopped about 14 times so that we could all hurl.

Coming home from Florida my brother had turned sixteen so they had the bright idea to drive all night since they could switch drivers. Myself and younger brother and sister who are twins thought this would be so cool. We made beds fell asleep at 6:30 p.m. and woke up at midnight ready to party. We drove everyone nuts until about 3:00 a.m. when we were finally 1/2 hour from home. By the way, have any of you stopped at an I-75 rest stop at 2:oo a.m.? Those places are hoppin'!

My memories may be traumatic to say the least. I have never gone near Dramamine or South Carolina again I can promise. But there are also some side splitting, pee your pants laughing stories and that's what I hope my children can walk away with after this trip. Stay tuned for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment