Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Time to regroup

We recently got a night to ourselves, after only 6 years and two kids. My children decided at the last minute to jump in the car with my parents and stay at Nanna and Papa's for an extra day. It was totally weird.


When you hear other people say, "Oh we went downtown, spent the night in a hotel, ate a fabulous dinner, and just had a romantic evening together while the kids were at the grandparents." It sounds like something out of a movie - who really does that! Everyone but us it seems. We do not live near family and do not have any expendable friendships. This was a whole new experience for us.


So the first thing I did was go to the gym and workout. I spent 45 minutes on the elliptical - GUILT FREE. No one was wasting away in the child care center watching Sponge Bob and getting lessons from the eight year old bully on words that will get you ousted from pre-school. I also spent 30 minutes with a personal trainer, which happens to be my husband. I got a great workout - he really kicked my behind. Which we then realized was not a good idea should we decide to get frisky later.

We went to lunch together, then I went home and took a nap - uninterrupted. I took a shower that lasted 25 minutes! 25 minutes with no one screaming, fighting, or pooping in unwanted places. I felt like a new woman. I gathered my To Do List and I was ready to tackle errands that have been sitting around for over a month with the joy of a kid on the last day of school. Then my husband calls. He tells me that he can't stop thinking about me and he wants the night to be special - see you in two hours.

I am a mess. I walk out of the house in such a panic that I had to turn around twice and go back to the house to retrieve items to return. I was as flustered as a Nun in a house of ill repute - as my father would say. Racing down residential streets, honking at children on their bikes, cutting in front of old ladies in the store, I was a mad woman.

I won't give you any unnecessary details of the evening, but I will tell you this. My husband and I made it home at the same time, I still had one thing to do before I surrendered (I wanted to blog in peace!) And he stood pacing outside the room. When I finished he pounced, we still had plenty of time to make dinner, take a walk, play a round of Rumicube and still be in bed by 10:00 p.m..

The next time my neighbors brag about getting rid of the kids I can chuckle inside knowing they can't stay up past ten either.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to know that your hubby IS a romantic at heart! I always figured given his background, it was a given! Good for the both of you...with kids on rooftops and whatnot, you both deserved it... probably you moreso than hubby though!

    ReplyDelete