Sunday, June 27, 2021

Dreamer

 Cheer up, sleepy Jean

Oh, what can it mean that
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen

With my oldest getting ready to go off to college, the focus is turning to the youngest. What does he think he wants to do? Did he get all the classes he needs next year? Has he even touched his summer homework!!

My youngest is my dreamer. I want to be supportive. I want to tell him he can do anything he puts his mind to. And yet a part of me is screaming in my head - ARE YOU NUTS!

How do you decide as a parent when to push, when to encourage, and when to say, This is not in your wheelhouse. It's a horrible enough feeling but even worse is when I can't fund the dream. I know you want to be a professional soccer player and in order to do that in the American you need to play in an exclusive club year round but I can't afford it. Is that reason enough to give up?

He's not a quitter. He's quite the go getter at 15. He has reached out to Professional teams on his own that have developmental youth club and asked how he can get a scholarship. He goes up to the field everyday. But in so many ways he is still such a 15 year old boy! Getting him to do chores is a Chore! Getting him off Xbox is ridiculous.

Why am I telling you this??? Sigh...I want written proof to show my son in 20 years. Parenting is hard. There are no instructions, there is no handbook, and I want him to know I struggled with how to support him through something I know nothing about.

I want him to know...
A dream written down becomes a GOAL. 
A goal broken down into steps becomes a PLAN. 
A plan backed by ACTION makes your dreams come true

Don't stop dreaming my love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment