Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tooth Fairy Blues

So there is one advantage to finally joining Face book about a year ago - misery loves company.  My five-year-old has begun to loose baby teeth.  Mind you they have to wiggle in his mouth for a good month or so before they actually fall out.  That's right, I said fall out.  He will not touch them let alone pull one.  I think he currently has about three loose in varying stages of course.

After much work on my part with the toothbrush every night...Have you ever tried to brush a tooth out? It ain't easy folks.  We lost tooth number two.  He was so proud and put it in a plastic bag. Thank God! Not that I asked him to but touching those things gives me the willies.  Besides they are REALLY small.

He showed everyone and decorated the sandwich bag.  Then there were a few tense moments when we thought we lost it, but after the screaming and tears I finally settled down and realized it was still in the bag, just too damn small to see.

It took five days to remember to put it under his pillow.  Every morning he would come down for breakfast and say, "Oh look, I forgot my tooth again." So is it any wonder that when he finally remembered to put it under his pillow, I FORGOT!  How much do you suck as a mom when you forget to be the Tooth Fairy?!

I was really beating myself up over this one, because there was no getting out of it.  Oh, it's happened before people.  But my older son never came in with the tooth bag and a report of all the places the money was not.  He would just casually say, I think the tooth fairy forgot.  To which I would casually reply, "Really? Let's check under your bed at breakfast.  Excuse me while I go to the bathroom."  At which point I would dash upstairs cursing under my breath, stealing money from his own stash (under the bed) then grab the tooth and leave a dollar and no one was the wiser.

But the five-year-old really had me.  What now?  Couldn't even blame it on a snow storm like I did for my older son.  That excuse actually lasted three days until I threaten my husband with his sex life if he didn't remember to do it because I obviously can NOT!

When I posted this to my Face book page I had 8 comments from friends about how typical this was of the Tooth Fairy.  Perhaps because the Tooth Fairy is expected to do it all by herself.  Raise the little fairies, feed the little fairies, put the fairies to bed then spend all night picking up teeth!

Like I said, misery loves company.  And according to Face book I am in good company.  Maybe even at the top because one friend posted that she is pretty sure her son has had a tooth under his pillow for six months now.  The interest on that could put the Tooth Fairy out of business. Not a bad idea, not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment