Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sports of all sorts...

Let me preface this by saying- I am the mom of two boys who has never played a team sport.  I danced.  Sounds girly, but really I think when I started it was all about the recital.  I saw the cool costumes, the stage, the lights, and thought, YES!  I didn't know that I would have to take lessons for 9 months to get there.  But I stuck with it because after 7 years of watching the bigger girls in the opening number and the ballet, I wanted my turn.  It was not as climactic as I expected I have to say.

So last Saturday at my seven-year-old's basketball game I lost my friggin' mind and stomped across the court and told the ref he wasn't calling a fair game.  To my defense, I waited until they were making a substitution or something so it's not like I plowed down three kids to cross the court.  Also, I did not cuss or raise my voice or argue when the ref said,"Get off my court NOW!"  I had simply stated what I felt and walked away.

I know it was wrong, it was horribly wrong! My husband was miffed, mortified, and mad.  My husband is the sports star.  He tells me all the time to keep my mouth shut.  My problem I think, I was not in a team sport.  I didn't have the experience of practising, playing, and sometimes learning that life is not fair.  To me, it's totally about being fair, that's a ref's job.  Impartially judging the game according to the rules and making everyone stick to them - even my son.

It's not even all about winning, we tell our son that all the time and after a game ask him what he's learned.  But that's just it! After 5 sports season my son's never ever won a game.  Not one.  How long is he going to stay positive and interested in sports when he's never had a winning experience? 

Then again, what do I know? A shuffle ball change, a grand jete, and the infamous Solid Gold jazz hands.  That is certainly not going to help my son on the basketball court especially with the ref's.  So my neighbor has suggested Tootsie Roll Pops - How many licks does it take to get to the end of a basketball game?

No comments:

Post a Comment