Friday, February 26, 2010

What to write...

Ever have one of those days? Too much to do, too little time - don't really want to start a project that will sit undone for days because you know you can't get back to it.

I'm not sure if I really am that busy, or if I am just that lazy. Maybe both. I am not motivated to dive into the cleaning, laundry, and chores that still need to be done. I'm not even sure if I want to dive into the book I have sitting on the night stand.

I did get out of the house for a while today to join a small group discussing, "The Five Love Languages of Children" it was very interesting. It was nothing life changing, but soooo nice to hear another mother complain about her children. It's reassuring, affirming, Gratifying!

I am not alone!

Being a "Stay-at-home Mom", "Full-time Mom", "Homemaker", whatever I'm not into titles- it's lonely. It is hard to spend all day with children under 5 and keep your wits about you. God knows they don't have them yet that's why it is so exhausting. Going to one of these little parenting talks is nice, you get a little nugget of wisdom, but it is so darn nice to hear someone else say, "Why does my two-year-old hit me when he says I love you? What have I done wrong?"

What have you done wrong? Watched too much Super Nanny! The beautiful thing about our discussion was that the woman that lead it had children, sorry Super Nanny. After you pop out a few dozen children of your own then you can let me know how that Naughty spot is working for ya'.

It is so different when it is not your child. In my previous life, B.C. (before children) I worked for the parks and recreation after school/summer program. Dropping the hammer on those kids was much easier, plus I could always revert to the - just following orders - line. I never had a problem with the consequences because they seemed so clear.

The lines blur so much when it's your own child. They may hit because their hungry - but it's 6:00 p.m. and you pushed dinner back to talk with a girlfriend, is that really their fault? They throw a fit in the store that you dragged them to during nap time because you really want a new dress for your reunion. Again, their fault?

I guess down deep we all know that if parenting were really that easy, everyone would be doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment