Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day!

Most everyone across the country right now has snow, some of us more than others. For my relatives in the DC and Maryland area I think it's the first Blizzard on record in 30 odd years?

Yesterday was the perfect Snow day here. School was cancelled, my husband's classes were cancelled, the neighbor boys came over and we played for hours. They took turns sledding and snowboarding down our driveway which makes a great sledding hill, but a terrible driveway in these conditions. They went exploring in the creek behind the house and then came in to eat and play star wars video games. Our neighbor lent my husband a snowboard (just what he needed) and he our six-year-old spent a couple of hours at the park practising their "skills".

Today is another snow day, and the novelty has worn off. I desperately need a shower, the house needs cleaned, and the boys are at each other throats. What Happened?!

I just keep thinking of my beloved saintly mother who spent 7+ days locked in the house with 5 children and 2 house guests during the blizzard of 1978. I would mention my father but he was absent during this time. You see we owned three or four snowmobiles at the time and my father was President of the local Snowmobile club. He spent 7 days and most nights working with the local Sheriff's departments to rescue people stranded in their homes.

It is funny to me as an adult with my own children to look back on these events now. It looks so much different through these eyes. I have only two boys 3 and 6 years-old. Mom had five children, 10, 8, 6, and twins that were two. They were suppose to be on a trip to Mexico- I think- and because they were to leave at 4 a.m. the couple they were traveling with came to stay at our house. Which is where we were all stuck.

I remember playing on the snowdrifts as big as our house and learning cards games from our guest. Pictures bring back other memories of the stories I heard later, the neighbors dogs got lost in the blizzard and died. My brother who was old enough to go out on rescue missions talked about riding over drifts that turned out to be cars. I think my mother even went on a rescue mission or two. She had an elderly woman on the back of the snowmobile when they dropped off a particularly high drift and the woman lost her dentures in the snow.

As the blizzard of 2010 pounds the East Coast I pray for those without power, the elderly and the sick, the Pregnant. (Ahh!) All those charged with clearing the roads, keeping us safe, and caring for us. And yes, I pray for all you mothers trapped at home with your children. I feel for you. The job seems thankless and endless. But think of it like this, all those hours spent making Valentines, playing games, and reading books will make the Blizzard of 2010 a spectacular memory for your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment