Thursday, February 4, 2010

Content Warning - this is a rant!

I do not know what it is like to have a daughter, and I will never because I have two boys. I also do not know what it is like to be famous in any way shape or form. But I do know what it is like to be a teenage girl, I was one.

I am outraged at the controversy over First Lady Michelle Obama's choice to fight the war on Childhood obesity and now the statement regarding her own children. STOP IT! From Sarah Palin to the bloggers who are ripping apart every piece of this STOP IT! Obesity is a life threatening epidemic in this country that is taking our very future with it, children.

Michelle Obama is a mother-first. I think the fact that she can talk about her experience as a mother of two beautiful daughters who are very obviously loved and well cared for helps validate the cause. My sister was bulimic, in fact I think they both were. We grew up in a house that had everything we wanted - except parental involvement.

I embarrassed my six-year-old in front of his class the other day when I was volunteering - do you think he will develop an eating disorder, anti-social behavior, or turn to drugs!! He was over it before I was for goodness sake. I came home and cried and wrote him and apology and said I was sorry and hugged and kissed him until he finally said, "Mom stop! It's no big deal."

Just like Scott Brown's daughters the night he told all of America they were available, I think that Sasha and Malia know their mother is doing the best that she can. I think more than feeling pressure to please their mom, they feel loved, supported, and nurtured. It is my opinion that the only people putting pressure on Sasha and Malia to be something that they are not, is the media.

That is why, as a mother of two children, I say as respectfully as I can - STOP IT! And to Michelle Obama I'd like to say - Keep up the good work, I got your back!

No comments:

Post a Comment