Friday, November 4, 2016

Go ahead and Steal it!

I was in a hurry the other day because I had about 30 minutes to run into two stores grab what I needed and get back to school to pick-up kids and get them home before 9:00 p.m. I dash through the food store because, sadly, I know it like the back of my hand. 10 items 3 three minutes - YES!
NO

I didn't pay close attention being so late at night I went directly into the only open check-out lane not realizing that I was behind a woman who was unloading her second cart of groceries. The checkout girl was scanning as fast as she could, the bagger was bagging as fast as he could, but to no avail. The items just kept piling up right along with my frustration. Had she pulled out coupons I think I would have gone ballistic.

The sort of funny thing was,  this woman was not in a hurry.  She was regaling everyone within ear shot of what she does in her Free Time.  Um, shop for a zombie apocalypse?  The list of things I despised about this woman was mounting with each scan let alone her babbling on about all her Free Time.

Who has Free Time??The dead, the retired, Federal employees? (Just teasing love you all!!)  And is it really Free? Free from what - someone yelling MOM, MOM, MOM, MOM. Free from chores, carpool, work, sports, technology, fighting, campaign commercials? 

I think I started to giggle out loud because I got the look. Oh, you know the look. The one you give Grandma at Thanksgiving dinner when she suddenly asks someone if they are pregnant? When they clearly are not. That look you'll get from a good Southern woman just before she says to you "Bless your heart."

But I couldn't help but wonder if there really is such a thing as Free Time? Mine feels a lot more like it's Stolen.  When I am reading a good book, which I love to do, I can't stop thinking about the laundry piled in the basement, the dishes piled in the sink, or the pee piled on the floor around the boys toilet,  And it's rarely if ever free from MOM, MOM, MOM, MOM.  So it dosen't really feel like free time because the amount of guilt that comes along with it makes it feel more like it's stolen.

Time that really feels earmarked for other things, however I am choosing to ignore that fact. So I stood there giggling to myself in that crazy lady way that you do when you are starting to get a little hysterical. And you need to use the bathroom. That is when I decided that if there is one thing it is OK to steal, it's time.  There should be no guilt in stealing time to read a book once in a while when your children are old enough to help with the piles or laundry, dishes, and pee that they created.

So go ahead Mom's - steal away - you have my permission. But FYI, it doesn't mean anyone in your house will actually help with that laundry, the dishes, or the pee they are too busy enjoying their Free Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment