Monday, January 19, 2015

No Name Calling Week

http://www.suescheffblog.com/celebratekindness-and-tweetsweet-no-name-calling-week/

What a great concept. What a wonderful thing. I want to help promote it - but not just on social media.  I think it's needed- please do not get me wrong. Right here in this blog I have ranted and raved about Reality TV and how the US is turning into one trashy trailer park.

This got to my soul.  Way deep down to that 12 year-old girl in me that wanted to die. Literally. I thought being dead would have to be so much easier than living through the hell that was my Junior High experience. The High School years got worse.

My Grandmother tired very hard to repeat over and over again, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

But they did! Oh Grandma, they did. They stuck to me like glue.  I carried them around for more than a decade believing that they were all true. The thing is the words weren't flung at me by my peers - they were whispered by my parents, siblings, family, and friends. They were shouted back at me in my own head.

I just finished the book Wonder because both boys have read it at school with their class.  I loved the book. Maybe this was odd, but I loved the last chapter. I don't want to ruin the book for those of you who ARE going to read it after you read this blog. 

In the book the Principal makes a speech and quotes J. M. Barrie's The Little White Bird....
" 'Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary?' "

Yes, I think we should. Starting this week. Starting with ourselves. Starting with this initiative.
#CelebrateKindness
a little bit more than is necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment