Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Rule Follower......

Do you know one? Are You one? We all have one....the rule follower.  They are born, not made much to the Military's chagrin.  People can be a rule follower, but deep down still not be a rule follower.


Isn't that was school was, for those of us of a certain age? Come in, say the pledge, sit down, shut up, do what I say NOT what I do, stand in line, sit still, eat your vegetables.....we had parent's who were Baby Boomer's not Flower Children so we were expected to follow the rules. All the rules.


Take a look at the book The Help.  Why was it such a huge success? Because they broke all the rules! And what do we really want to do - Break all the rules!


Is anyone confused yet? Good. Because I know that I am. Totally. But I just now figured out that I have no clue what I am doing.  I need to know the rules.  What are the rules of civility, humanity, of this game called life that we are all playing?


That is why I have spent my whole life feeling Socially retarded. Because I am. I am still trying to follow rules that nobody else is - What?!


When I was young they said don't talk about other people it is hurtful and rude and a sin. OK got it.
Then my parent's were talking about how my brothers friend had that awful red hair and was terribly bow legged.  When my brother and his friend asked me what mom and dad were talking about I said, "Rick's awful red hair and his funny walk."
Then I got in trouble. Wait? What? You are not suppose to talk about people right?
What you taught me was it's ok to talk about people, just do it behind their back.


When I was young they said do not cuss it is awful and bad and a sin. Ok Got it.
Then Dad would get mad at the drop of a hat and cussed like a drunk sailor. So I guess I repeated a few of these choice words in church and I got in trouble. Wait? What?
What you taught me was it's ok to cuss just not on Sunday in church, or in front of Mom and Dad.


There were lots and lots of rules and everyday I tried to get the list right - just right. Perfectly right. Because I am a rule follower and that is what we do - right?  We are ALL rule followers after all, right?


See this is where the world has messed with me for years and years.  I thought we were all playing by the same rules. And the only one that stayed the same day after day, month after month, year after year was:


Always treat other people the way you want them to treat you...
So silly me, I thought we were all on the same page.
But a couple of years ago I heard a teacher talking to a group of girls.  She had overheard them making fun of a classmate.  When she called them on it they all said, "She started it. She made fun of our project in front of the boys." That is when the teacher added the most valuable phrase ever to the Golden Rule.


Always treat other people the way you want to be treated...no matter how they are treating you.
WOW. OK. Now I got it.  Not everyone is going to play by the rules but no matter what- I will. Or die trying. I promise.
These are my rules but as I am only human, remember these could change, before I am even done typing. In fact they already have a little.


I will always treat you with love and respect except when you have canceled my flight and lost my luggage, hurt my children, or I am wicked hungry. (then you are taking your life in your own hands)


I will not set out to hurt anyone or anything physically, emotionally, or mentally. I will use my powers for good but if they go awry please tell me right away so that I can make it right. Or at least apologize.


I promise that I am working on controlling my temper, but I haven't mastered it yet. I have to tell you - as a rule follower nothing makes me hotter than a non-rule follower. And the worst of all is a non-rule follower that hurts someone I love.  Oh - those people have a death wish.


I will give you the benefit of the doubt over and over and over again.  Being only human myself I will give you a mile, and a half. Ok, six. But there will come a day when you will have taken advantage one to many times and I will be forced to walk away. I may not say goodbye, but I certainly will not let you continue to walk all over me. It hurts.


So, Ok. I think that is enough for tonight. Being a bear of very little brain I think I may have exploded my thinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment