Sunday, November 18, 2012

It's my OCD! No-My OCD!

I've been thinking about this ever since the week that I went head to head every morning with my youngest son over the length of his shoelaces.  By Friday I was exhausted and said to him, "There are sick children in the hospital right now and you are crying over shoelaces. Stop!"  I was sure that he just needed to get over it.

I realized that day after school as I was complaining again about the no one cleaning up their lunchboxes that I wanted everyone to give up their OCD for mine.  What I was asking was for them to think exactly the way I do, care about exactly what I care about, to do things my way or hit the highway.

Where does this come from? Is it just me? This weekend after celebrating an early Thanksgiving and Christmas with my parents I had an epiphany.  My dad started to say something and my mom started to correct him, "No that's not what you say. You need to say this."

So when I see my own children and shake my head thinking that's my apple, it struck me that I too am an apple.  And there's my tree.  I tend to associate more with the other tree because that's what I was told all my life, "You are just like your father."  I guess it never dawned on me that I could be from both trees but becoming a mom has taught me many things.  This is just one.

Your OCD or mine? Forget it, let's call a truce and eat chocolate.  Life's just to short.

No comments:

Post a Comment