Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 4th!!

It is almost the 4th of July, the corn is knee high, and I can smell summer. We are at my parents house for the weekend and I awoke this morning to the sound of a tractor and the smell of fresh alfalfa. The weekend will be filled with fireworks, food, family, and fun. Hey, look at that, I do remember something from English class - alliteration.

I've also been thinking about my Grandparents a lot lately and today, July 1st- 10 years ago- my grandfather died of cancer. We buried him on July 4th. It was bittersweet considering the cancer was ravaging his body. My sister was pregnant with the first grandchild who would be born 7 days later.

My kids are really excited about staying up to watch the fireworks on the 4th. I have not done that since Papa died. I just couldn't. Everyone was tired after the funeral and my father and I went out alone to watch, cry, and say goodbye. I'm not sure how I will feel this year, but I do know that I won't get through the fireworks without a few tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment