Sunday, June 17, 2018

When life becomes a Dystopian Novel

There is a new app form our Public Library that suggests books based on your reading habits.  Considering that I use only one card for all of us (even though the boys have had a library card since they were 5) I think I broke the app.  I read a very eclectic variety and then being summer I also checked out books for the my boy's.

One of the books it suggested was The Giver. I knew that it was made into a movie fairly recently and honestly I could not remember if I had read it, or one of the boys did, or if I just saw the movie trailer. So I downloaded the series on my Kindle.  I am currently reading book three in the series.

And this morning while I was cooking breakfast I started thinking - I am not reading a dystopian novel - I am living it!

How many people: children, teens, young adults, have to be diagnosed with Cancer and poisoned with Chemo to save their lives? How much of the Ice caps need to melt, and plastic needs to be found in oceans, and fresh water disappear. How many natural disasters have to happen earlier and stronger and further in. And not to mention the leadership or lack there of, weapons of mass destruction, and school shootings.  Obesity, starvation, Ultra-Rich, Ultra-Poor, Republicans, Democrats, Communists, the gaps get wider, greater, stronger.....

I could go on and on, but I am already having a panic attack writing this. I am not totally sure what my gift is, although I have always thought it was writing, but this I do know. This is not a drill. We are no longer a maybe. We can no longer pretend it is not happening or expect the next generation to take care of it. We are all responsible for this world and for each other, because we are in this together. Destruction, Dystopia, or Destiny. If you do not choose someone else will.

No comments:

Post a Comment