Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011

Well, the stockings were hung by the chimney with care and Old St. Nicholas found them there....both boys have said something to me separately today like, Is it really over?  Yeah, really....really?

A friend of mine has a brother who is a child rearing guru, because of course, he dosen't have any children. So as one of her children was screaming while he was trying to talk to her he said very astutely, "Dosen't he know this is not the time of year to be misbehaving!"  Her reply, "No Tom he didn't get he memo."

But she made a very good point to me- who was at the time mad at my own children for the very same thing - missing the memo.  No sooner than the Thanksgiving turkey is carved we drag a tree in the house, start asking what they want for Christmas, bombard them with TV specials and toy ads then get mad when they get all jacked up.
OK, it is a little rude. No, it's a lot rude.

We don't really expect our children to behave one month out of the year.  As parents we expect your children to behave all the time.  But especially at church and your in-laws house, let's call a spade a spade people.  And the reality is they can not keep it together any longer than we can.  Let's face it, even I get squirmy in church and at the in-laws the difference is I am are old enough to drink. I meant think, really I did!!

We have friends who's son is autistic and he is 13 now and is still non verbal.  They are doing some amazing work with a new type of teaching tool called Rapid Prompting Method.  For the first time in 13 years they are inside of their child's head.  They have been working with this for six months or so and it is truly amazing, but the thing that I found fascinating is that as Chirstmas approached he was able to tell his aide that what he needed at Christmas was time "alone with mother in the van" that there was "too many people".

I agree completely.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed with people, especially at the holidays.  I will try to remember that next year as the holiday's approaches and once again I ask more of my children then I expect from myself.  Thanks Cole.

For more on RPM try this link
http://autism.about.com/od/alternativetreatmens/f/rpm.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment