Sunday, January 3, 2010

When do you say Goodbye?

My Uncle George, my Godfather, is dying of brain cancer. He has fought valiantly, struggled defiantly, and lived beautifully. But when do I say Goodbye?

Uncle "Chip" George as we call him is the kindest gentlest man I've ever met. He exudes love and is such an amazing example of a husband and father. They are a family like I've never seen before showing such caring and compassion for one another. A huge part of that is his very significant and amazing better half, Teressa. Together they are truly what love should look like.

She is who I think about everyday. She is the one I worry about. She has battled and struggled and fought, and yet will survive. Without medication, without anesthesia she will keep searching, fighting, hoping, praying, and living - without him.

This is what brings me to my knees. George is a good Christian and I have no doubt that Saint Peter is waiting with all those gone before ready to Welcome him home. But what about Teressa? What about his sons Neil and Seth?
It is not easy to let someone go - When do I say Goodbye?

There are so many "experts" now a days and they say that you need to let the person know that it is ok to go. I think George surely came to terms with that when they told him it's Brain Cancer! He knows it's ok to go. I may never be ready though - when do I say Goodbye?

I saw him at Thanksgiving and I think now as I thought then, it will be the last time I will see him alive. I could NOT bring myself to say Goodbye. I told him I loved him, and that he is the bravest person I know. I pray for him everyday and when I do I talk with him, just as I will when he is gone. Because, I can't say Goodbye - I shouldn't have to.

I don't know how else to pay tribute to this amazing and wonderful man, except to say, I love you. I am so proud to be your niece, and to have had the pleasure to know you, I am better for it.
Good night Sweet Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment