Monday, January 13, 2014

"I've been going a long time"...

My beautiful little seven-year-old boy.  I have to thank the universe everyday for this gift because along with all the "Oh no you didn't!" moments there are many "I love you!" moments.


Last week I finally got a call to sub in the elementary school nurse's office and it turned into three days of work.  All three days the only three days that there was school last week due to the Artic hurricane that passed through the Mid-west.
I was surprised how well Mom going to work was going over with both boys. Wednesday they were both supportive and even kind of of excited to send me off to work.  The seven-year-old was ecstatic because he sent me to school with his lunchbox and made the tough sacrifice of eating in the cafeteria that day - Pizza.


But by Friday the seven-year-old was over it and came into our room at 6:15 (my husband is already at work mind you) and says to me "I don't feel good".  Now you have to understand this is a daily, make that multiple daily occurrence - for this child.  Whenever he is called on the carpet "I don't feel good" whenever he has to step up "I don't feel good" and every morning before school "I don't feel good". So the child has to show serious signs of physical distress because otherwise I'm not paying attention.


Only this day he took it to a whole new level - "Mom, this is the worst that I have felt in...in...in 7 years! My whole life - its that bad."  Oh brother. Lay it on thick son cause that's all you got!" (needless to say we both made it to school on Friday)


My beautiful little man, started early for Monday - 9:30 Sunday night when I got home from a girls night I went into kiss him and he sat up in bed to say "I don't feel good." He was over dressed for bed so I took his socks off and his PJ bottoms and said to him, "That should help go to sleep." and then again at 4:30 this morning I feel a little face right in front of mine "Mom - I don't feel good". Oh lordy day child.


I let him get in bed and snuggle up, mainly because I am too tired and lazy to discuss anything with a child at this hour of the morning.  But I knew we were going to have quite the morning.  He was persistent, tenacious, relentless.  I finally went into my bathroom to escape for 5 minutes giving everyone their marching orders before I disappeared.


The next thing I know there is a little tap tap tap on the bathroom door.
"I'm going potty honey go get dressed."
"Mom, I REALLY don't feel good."
"OK. Get dressed we'll talk when I'm finished."
"I can't, I just can't . Mom. I have gone to school a lot of days."
"You only went three days last week you were suppose to go five."
"No I don't mean THAT I mean like a lot of days like two years." I didn't laugh out loud - I swear. I said under my breath, well there is not end in sight my friend. and from the other side of the bathroom door I hear, "You're telling me!"



No comments:

Post a Comment